Chelsea Wins The 2010 FA Cup Final

May 17th, 2010

The 2010 FA Cup final took place over the weekend at the prolific Wembley Stadium, and saw the newly crowned 2009/10 Premier League Title Winners Chelsea FC looking for the double as they faced recently relegated Portsmouth.

On Saturday afternoon at 3pm in London, Wembley was home to two sets of fans – one looking to claim a silver lining for their season, and the other looking to add to an already fantastic season.

As was expected, it was the latter set of fans who left the stadium cheering.

Chelsea came away double winners, adding the FA Cup to the Premiership title through a single goal by the dominant Didier Drogba.

Chelsea came away double winners, adding the FA Cup to the Premiership title through a single goal by the dominant Didier Drogba.

The 59th minute winner takes Drogba to six goals from six appearances at the national stadium, ending his season tally on 37 goals.

It was a thrilling final – as the FA Cup tends to be, with the woodwork hit five times in the first half, and two penalties missed in the second.

While Chelsea went into the game as undisputed favourites, and certainly appeared the more controlled and deserving side, Pompey gave the champions a run for their money, with the fans anything but mellow.

The first half was a barrage of attack by the London team, with the woodwork working as hard as David James to block the ball from going into the goal, and inexplicably Portsmouth went into the break on level terms.

The second half saw a more calm and composed Portsmouth side emerge, and looked to set a fairytale ending in the 55th minute, when Juliano Belleti fouled Aruna Dindane in the box resulting in a Portsmouth penalty.

Kevin-Prince Boateng stepped up to the spot, and unfortunately for the newly relegated side sent the ball straight down the middle and easily collected by Petr Cech.

The FA Cup never gives out many opportunities, and Portsmouth certainly felt the sting of the Cup as three minutes later Drogba stepped for a free kick which he curved around the wall and into the bottom corner, ironically off the post.

In the closing minutes of the game, Chelsea could have secured the win, as Frank Lampard was taken out by Michael Brown in the area, and were awarded a penalty themselves.

Lampard stood up to take it, but sent the shot wide of goal – and left Portsmouth pushing for the back of the net.

But it was not to be a tale of the underdog, but rather the Premiership Champions claiming another piece of silverware, and goes down as the first FA Cup final to see two penalty kicks missed.

As the domestic seasons have drawn to a close, soccer fans now look to the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the friendlies leading up to it, so head to now to get in on the never ending action!